You may encounter several issues installing Customer Chat widget on your website. In our experience, they are always easy to resolve - we'll show you how in this article.
Table on contents:
1. Customer Chat widget doesn't appear on your website;
1.1 Customer Chat widget appears cropped, partially blocked, broken in other ways;
2. You and/or your users can't interact with the widget or close it once opened.
In every case, we recommend following our Installation Guide carefully, plus checking our diagnostic tool for the indication and the solution of the problem - it will provide you with the steps for solution to each problem! If the tool didn't help - don't worry, just read through this article to find a quick solution to your problem.
Customer Chat widget doesn't appear on your website
There might be several reasons to why you don't see your widget:
1. Incorrect visibility settings;
2. Problem with Facebook SDK code or another customer chat app;
3. Widget code installed incorrectly;
4. Website CSS styles hides the widget.
1. Head to the Growth Tool's 'Setup' tab and check 'Visibility Settings' section:
If you entered something here, delete everything and test if the widget appears at all. If it does - problem solved; you will only need to set up correct visibility settings then according to your needs. If it doesn't - head to the paragraph below.
2. Check the Developer Console on your website (F12 in Google Chrome or mouse right-click => Inspect Code)
You might see the following error message:
"The CustomerChat plugin is no longer part of the main Facebook SDK.
# To continue using it please use the correct SDK URL,
# meaning replace sdk.js with sdk/xfbml.customerchat.js.
# For more details see https://developers.facebook.com/docs/messenger-platform/discovery/customer-chat-plugin/sdk/"
If you do have this error message, all you have to do is replace "sdk.js" with "sdk/xfbml.customerchat.js" in your site's code. If the error persists, simply delete all the code associated with Facebook SDK.
If you had any other Customer Chat widgets installed along with ManyChat, choose only one widget and delete the code of every other widget.
<!-- ManyChat --> <script src="//widget.manychat.com/999999999999999.js" async="async"></script>
Head to your website then and check the code you've installed. If you've edited or installed it through some application, another app or JS-installator - it will not work and thus will not be displayed. You need to make sure that the code on your website is identical to the original ManyChat code.
As there's a great variety of site platforms, it would be difficult to list how to install ManyChat widgets on all of them, but you should always be able to find the necessary info in your site platform's knowledge base or by reaching out to their support. There are lots of useful tutorials on the web also, like this one on installing the widgets on a Wordpress site or our guide on Adding Checkbox Widget on ClickFunnels pages.
Customer Chat widget appears cropped, partially blocked, broken in other ways
If you've noticed that the widget that appears properly on your site doesn't react to clicks, the issue might be caused by the site's layout.
Sometimes a layout is designed in such a way that some elements cover the widget which makes it unclickable, because it's located in the background. Often it's difficult to notice this, especially with the Customer Chat widget if it's in minimized state, but sometimes if you scroll through the site, you can see something like this:
How to solve such issues? Just follow the steps listed below:
1. Choose the element that covers the widget, hover over it with a cursor, then click with your right mouse button and choose 'Inspect element' in the menu that appears.
2. When the Console opens, right-click on the selected element and choose "Hide element":
3. Once the widget is uncovered, check if it's clickable and working properly. You'll also be able to see which elements were hiding the widget:
Sometimes it happens that ManyChat widget is installed properly on Shopify, but it isn't showing up for unknown reason. The cause could be the styles conflict in the source code of the site.
1. Check the site's Console for errors;
2. Open Console tab, check if you see errors like these:
3. Open Network tab -> click "Request Blocking" tab at the bottom. If there's no such button at the bottom, click here:
4. Click "Enable request blocking", then click +, type in *css and click "Add". Then block *css by ticking it. After this, refresh page and if the widget appears eventually - the issue was caused by the styles conflict.
If that's the case, you will need to edit your Shopify styles to the state where they are not blocking the widget. In case of any further questions about Shopify settings, please contact Shopify support.
You might experience the issue when you can't close the Customer Chat or you can open it only once.
If it's the first case, check the code on your website to find the ManyChat code. It might be that you've installed it twice or there is simply more widget codes than should be. Delete every copy and leave only one widget code - the problem should be solved!
1. Check the site's Console for errors;
2. Open Network tab => click "Request blocking" at the bottom, click +, add "*js" (the same way we did it with CSS). Important: don't mark *js with a tick - this will block all JS snippets on the site including our widget.
3. Open JS tab and block red JS scripts that you think may be causing the issue. Blocking is done by double clicking on the JS snippet and choosing "Block Request URL".
4. After blocking, refresh the page and if the widget starts working properly - you've found the "guilty" JS snippet.