Messaging limits determine how many unique WhatsApp contacts can be reached by your business per day. This includes new and existing contacts. The messaging limit does not limit the number of messages your business can send, just the number of contacts you are trying to reach. It also does not apply to messages sent in response to a contact-initiated message within a 24-hour period.
Note: Before sending mass messages or broadcasting make sure your sending limit corresponds to the number of contacts you want to message.
There are four messaging tiers:
- Tier 1. Messages can be sent to 1000 unique contacts within 24 hours.
- Tier 2. Messages can be sent to 10, 000 unique contacts within 24 hours.
- Tier 3. Messages can be sent to 100, 000 unique contacts within 24 hours.
- Tier 4. Messages can be sent to an unlimited number of unique contacts within 24 hours.
Your Messaging Limit can be viewed in Business Manager → Business Settings → WhatsApp Accounts → Settings → WhatsApp Manager → Phone Numbers → Messaging Limit.
How can I upgrade sending limits?
You are automatically upgraded to a higher tier based on the volume and quality of the messages you send.
A business’s phone number is upgraded to the next tier if:
Its quality rating is not low,
The cumulative amount of contacts it sends notifications to adds up to twice its current messaging limit within a 7-day period.
Once the business reaches this threshold, it is moved to the next tier. The minimum amount of time that this upgrade can occur is after 48 hours when the business is sending messages up to their current limit every day.
What is the quality rating?
Every number connected to WhatsApp Business API integration has its own quality rating.
Your WhatsApp business phone number's quality rating is a rating based on the most recent messages that your contacts have received over the past seven days. This rating is determined by your contact's feedback, such as your phone number's recent blocks and other reporting issues.
Go to Business Manager → Business Settings → WhatsApp Accounts → Settings → WhatsApp Manager → Phone Numbers → Quality Rating to see your rating.
There are three quality states:
- Green: High quality
- Yellow: Medium quality
- Red: Low quality
If your quality rating reaches a low state or your phone number status changes, you will receive an email and notification in Business Manager as a warning and your status will change to Flagged or Restricted.
- Flagged status occurs when the quality rating reaches a low state.
- Restricted status occurs when you reach your messaging limit. During a Restricted phase, you can't send any messages until the 24-hour window has been reset. You can still respond to any messages contacts initiate.
Note: Businesses cannot upgrade messaging limit tiers while in the Flagged state. If the message quality improves to a high or medium state and maintains this for seven days, your status will return to Connected. If the quality rating doesn't improve, your status will still return to Connected, but you'll be placed in a lower messaging limit tier.
How can I improve my quality rating?
To improve your quality rating:
- Check if you or anyone from your business has added a template within the last seven days. This may help determine a problematic template(s).
- Check that all messages you send via LiveChat, Automations, and Broadcasts comply with WhatsApp policies.
- Check if you have contacts opt-in for any recent template topics. For example, if you only have contact opt-in for purchase receipts but use the API for account updates, contacts may respond negatively because they didn't opt into that specific communication.