If you are having trouble sending out Instagram Messages using Instagram Automation, go through the following steps to make sure that everything is set up correctly:
◽️Check that the connected Instagram account type is a Business account (no follower restrictions) or a Creator account with less than 500K followers.
◽️Ensure that Access to Instagram Partner Messages is enabled in your Instagram account.
This setting is enabled by default, but if you’re having automation trouble, it may be helpful to make sure:
- Open your Instagram App and select your Business account
- Go to Settings —> Privacy —> Messages
- Scroll down to Connected Tools
"Allow Access to Messages" should be toggled to ON.
◽️Check the Handover Protocol on your Facebook Page.
You typically won’t have to check the Handover Protocol on your Facebook page, but if you’re having trouble sending out Instagram Messages with Instagram Automation, follow these instructions to make sure it’s correctly enabled:
- On your Facebook page, go to Page Settings —> Advanced Messaging
- Find the Handover Protocol section
- Click Configure next to "Instagram receiver"
- Ensure that ManyChat is selected as the Primary Receiver
If you've tried all of the above steps and are still experiencing issues, please contact our support.
- If your Facebook page is using the New Page Experience, you will not have this access but Automation will still function as expected
- If your automated ManyChat message is sent in separate chunks of text on the Instagram end – keep in mind that IG Text messages must be UTF-8 and be within the limits of 1000 bytes. This includes both text and media files in a message. URLs in the text must also be valid and properly formatted. More on that here and here.
- User Input prefills (like a prefilled Email or Phone Number that people usually can click in a Messenger dialogue) do not show up on Instagram. This is the innate limitation of Facebook API that will hopefully be lifted soon.
- If you assign a new Facebook page to your Instagram account – your ManyChat Instagram Automation will cease to work! The only way to get it back in running is by contacting ManyChat Support and asking them to reconnect the Instagram account on their end. Then it will start working again!
- Currently, IG automation has a limitation of 400 symbols per text block. This means if you create a text message that is more than 400 symbols in size – that text message will be split in two or more text blocks in your IG chat.